Have You Seen Any of These?

Monday, January 24, 2011

Jan 21 to Jan 23 Dolphins and Sea Lions

I had been wondering where the Pacific White Sided Dolphins got to. Normally, at least the past few years, they have been in and around the areas from Sechelt to Cortez Island in the winter months. Last year there were daily sightings of 80 to 100 at a time.

I was extremely happy to spot a group of between 100 to 150 together with a few sea lions in the mix, in front of Powell River yesterday. They foraged for food and travelled between Grief Point and Rebecca Rocks. Looking like they were moving Nothwest with purpose I thought that by the time I would get out there, they'd be gone. So I went back to work in my office. I was so surprised to find they stayed around still back and forth, so I headed out on the water with them.

Of course they were frolicking amongst themselves and with the sea lions, as they tend to do, in between feeding. But feeding was their main purpose. I left them close to the Texada shoreline headed towards VanAnda.

Jan 23 - 11am till 3pm 100 to 150 Pacific White Sided Dolphins with som sea lions foraging between Grief Point, Westview Ferry Terminal and Rebecca Rocks towards VanAnda on Texada Island

Jan 21 and Jan 22 - No sightings to report