Have You Seen Any of These?

Monday, April 4, 2011

Sightings Mar 29 to Apr 3 Plus Whale Updates

I was so excited! Finally I spotted some activity in front of Powell River. Reaching for the binoculars to get a better look, I found myself looking at a couple of sea lions with a few birds.

Although they are great animals to watch, my heart sank a bit since there still have not been any whales or dolphins sighted in or around this area. There have been rumours of possibly a few Pacific White Sided Dolphins wake riding with the Comox to Powell River ferry, but even those sightings reports were not certain.

On the other hand, there have been some Transient (meat eating) Orca, a few Gray Whales, and even a Minke sighted down by the Washington State / Canada border to the South.

And to the North, the Offshore Orca were last reported in the upper Johnstone Strait area March 31st.

Spring is definitely coming, albeit a bit late, by the fact that my Hummingbird count is up to three regular Rufous Hummingbirds at the feeder, two males and one female. There are still a couple of Anna's too, but they are less frequent now.