Have You Seen Any of These?

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Orca Sightings April 12

Apr. 12 - 4 to 6 Killer Whales, probably from the same group of Transients the other day, were spotted between Rebecca Rocks closer to Harwood Island and heading out towards Vivian Island around 5:30pm. Their breaching and splashing gave their position away. From John and Joan

From Steve, about his April 11 photo of the Transients posted on this Blog yesterday: 
I did look carefully at the High res version that looks like it is eating a sea lion and I think part of a front flipper/thumb is also visible.

As many of you know, my time on the water with whales tends to be in our upper coastal regions, so if any Whale Watching Tour operators close to the Vancouver or Victoria, BC area would like me to forward their link information, please email me with it. I will happily pass it on. Read below:

From Leyla in Europe:
A friend of mine here at the office is maybe going to Vancouver for 10 days in July and was wondering about whale watching. First, I'm not sure whether July is a good month, but second, is there any place they could get to from Vancouver in not too much time, since their entire stay is 10 days? I think they could probably travel for a day, stay watching whales for a day, then come back... but I thought you might be able to advise best!

My reply:
For your friend, there are a number of whale watching tours run out of Victoria. July is a great month to watch whales - Orca (Killer Whales) at least. Mostly the Humpback and Gray Whales have moved to their main feeding grounds farther up the coast. Occasionally, some stay down around there, if the feed is good.